Thursday, August 12, 2010

Home Repairs

So, my oven decided to stop working the Saturday before last.  I didn't notify my landlord until Monday because I can be a nice guy and didn't want my 900 year old maintenance man to have to come out on Sunday.  (See, I can be a caring person!)  A little info on the oven... it's built into the wall.  It's also one of the smallest ovens I've ever owned.  You can barely put a small turkey in there at Thanksgiving.  This information is pertinent later in the story.

Tuesday comes and I get a call from said landlord and it goes something like this: 

L(andlord): "I came by and you were right, the oven isn't working."
F(rank): "Okay.  (Many, many sarcastic remarks running through my head) Can Gene (maintenance man) fix it?"
L: "Umm.  Well, we need to come back tomorrow to measure the area where the oven is. Oh and have a look at those loose shingles."
F: "Okay, cool.  Are you replacing the oven?"
L: "We'll take a measurement some time tomorrow."

Is it me or did it seem like that conversation was one sided?  Wednesday rolls around and I'm asleep in bed and a ladder being thrown against the side of my house scares the crap out of me.  I roust myself out of bed to find the maintenance man had been in my house.  I know this because there were dirty foot prints in my kitchen and dirt tracked in through the laundry room.  What the hell?  He didn't even bother to ring the doorbell, he just used to garage code to let himself in!!  Seriously!!  Thank God he's a 900 year old man with a touch of emphysema or I'd be freaking out a little bit.

That afternoon, lovely landlord calls me:

L: "So, we can't replace the oven.  They don't make them the size that fits in that space anymore.  So, Gene ordered a part and is going to try to fix it.  I don't want to have to remodel the kitchen just so you can have an oven."
F: "Understandable, since a remodel would be inconvenient.  When is the part coming in."
L: "About a week.  We will call you and let you know when it comes in and when Gene can install it."
F: "Okay.  Thanks."

Needless to say, it's been 12 days since I've had a working oven.  No calls, no updates, no apologies.  I'm getting increasingly frustrated and annoyed as the days tick by.  So, I'm going out to lunch to avoid eating another sandwich.  I miss my oven.  Annoying.

2 comments:

Wiwille said...

When I signed the papers to have my house built the sales lady asked if I wanted an oven hood. I asked her why that would be optional as I would assume it would come standard. She said that a lot of people don't want one, because few cook anymore.

Oh and the price: $600. Yeah I paid it. I like to cook.

Point is you seem to be a rare breed of people who cook regularly.

Frank Lee Annoyed said...

Three weeks, one day later... I still have no oven. The part they ordered didn't fix the problem so they are now scouring the city for an oven to fit in the space. I was told it would be a day or two... that was four days ago. I WANT TO COOK.