Saturday, October 16, 2010

Airline Baggage Fees

I traveled abroad this past Summer.  My destination will remain a secret but, the length of stay was 5 weeks.  (Sounds like rehab, huh?)  I had no idea what my living conditions would be like.  Would I be able to shower?  Would I be able to wash my clothes?  Will the weather be spastic?  So, I had to pack accordingly.  I went to the airline's sight to find out the baggage limits and couldn't believe what I learned!

American Airlines: You have to pay for any checked bags, if flying within the US (including Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands & Canada).  If flying internationally, you may check one bag weighing no more than 50lb/23kg.  If it weighs more (up to 70lb) it costs $50 to check!!!

Delta: Pretty much the same except it gets very complicated.  They have a grid of times/dates/member or not rules that were boring to read.  In a nut shell, they are insanely expensive, like everyone else.

British Airways:  Same, except with a cool accent. And a smug way of saying lose the stuff in the bag or pay the Pounds.

On top of the insane fees for baggage-- which, by-the-way, resulted in the loss of a pair of shoes, pants, shampoo, hoodie, etc. because I didn't want to pay the fee on the way home from my trip--- is the liquid restrictions.  They don't go by the amount of liquid in the bottle, they go by what the label says.  I made it through two plane changes with said items and got to British Airways.... I had to toss a perfectly good bottle of liquor.  That made for a cranky Frank. 

So, there you go Wiwille.  The first on your list!  The new airline restrictions make me want to restrict my travels.  But, alas, Frank is not a homebody... so with these rules, up I must put. (in my best Yoda voice)

1 comment:

Wiwille said...

Yay I'm now a proud contributor to the musings of the sexy Frank.