Saturday, January 9, 2010

"I know how you feel."


That phrase is supposed to invoke the feeling of not being alone in the world-- cue the sappy picture of cute cherubic children holding hands, walking amongst a field of spring flowers .  But, honestly, it does just the opposite for me.  

Empathy is not really something I understand.  The reason is: I will NEVER be able to get inside someone's head and know exactly what they are feeling.  I may have an idea but, I will NEVER know exactly how someone feels.  And I seriously doubt any of you will either.  Experiences all bring us to different conclusions in life.  


In Africa there is an idea of singularity.  Before you jump to the conclusion that you know what I'm talking about, let me explain.  They believe that each person borne unto this world is  irreplaceable, unique and one-of-a-kind.  We, here in the good ol' U.S. of A., have what is called individualism.  Yep, there's a big ole difference.  An "individual" represents a specific group of people.  Basically a sheep representing the herd.  Lemmings.



Unfortunately, I don't believe that's the case at all.  I think we are all singular and have been brainwashed to believe that we are replaceable.  Honestly, that's crap.  This mindset has led us to the overuse of the phrase "I know how you feel".  Because we have, since birth, been led to believe as such.  When it's really not the case.  


So... stop using that phrase, get with the program and realize you are unique... no one can read your mind (except maybe Dionne Warwick's Psychic Friends) and no one can replace you.  Sheep-like mentality is annoying.

No comments: